Swimming- Recount writing

During school, I waited until the clean up song was played because the girls and boys had to be separated to change for swimming. The moment the song played on the screen, everybody started to stack up chairs and clear everything on tables.The girls and I went and entered a classroom with no boys in sight. The older students put the blinds down so we could all start changing. The bus arrived for the boys since they went first.We all went outside for our lunch break to gain energy before we went swimming.

When a few of the girls and I saw the bus we went towards the staff room to inform the Teachers who were going to supervise us during our swimming. The teachers told us to make our way into the bus as soon as everyone was here. The bus had such a vibe. We sang songs, and did fun dances. We finally arrived. I made my way in as for the others.

We waited patiently for the boys lessons to finish. When the boys finished, we went up the stairs and jumped into the pool as the instructor asked us to. Our lesson was with kick boards. We used it to do back strokes and freestyle but holding the kick boards with our hands to help us for beginners. Everyone took turns until we were all on the other side. When we finished, our Instructor told us to hop out of the pool so we could all jump back off.

Once that was finished, we came out of the pool and went our way to the exit and went into the bus. The teachers provided us rubbish bags for us to sit on so the seats on the bus wont get wet. I put on my jumper like everybody else because of how freezing cold it was. As soon as the bus arrived at our school we went inside the class and changed back into our school uniform. Once we were all ready, we went under the schools canopy to wait for the bell to ring at the end of the day.

Almost 2 weeks have passed since we had been swimming. On our second to last day, we had boats and learning ways to save someone to prevent them from drowning. We were separated into our age groups and we used different ways to save someone. I had a partner who I had pretended to save. There was a life jacket, a pool noodle and a new rescue item that I couldn’t name. I threw a life jacket so it could help my partner float better.

Then I threw a rope to pull her closer to me enough to use the pool noodle to pull her back safely. When all partners were finished, we switched with the younger ones and used the boats this time. We were divided into 2 groups so that there were enough to fit everyone in the boat. Our instructor told us to hold our life jackets and one by one fall behind our backs into the pool. At first, I was nervous when it was my turn. I relaxed my body and slowly leaned backwards until I fell.

I held my nose before I did so water couldn’t make its way in. I climbed back up and sat with the people on the edge of the pool. That was the end of our lesson but the best. I thank the teachers and the pool instructors for giving us the chance to learn how to swim. These lessons could save lives and I am very thankful for it.