Rippa Tornament – Recount Writing

In the morning I felt ecstatic. I went to school and all of the seniors went in the canopy to sort out our teams. I sat with my team ready to go. We went down to the gate and crossed the road on our way to where the tournament occurred. When we arrived, we saw many schools setting up and practicing for their games. We set up our mat and put our bags on it.

We went up to an empty field to practice before our first game. We were given permission to view a game with other schools competing. We cheered for both teams seeing who won. Our teacher, Mr Bell told us both of our teams would be competing in other schools.My team were nervous but happy to play. We put on our tags and waited for the other school to arrive.

When I saw the players they were huge. They were from Glen Innes School and looked like year 9’s but we relied on our biggest and best players to win for us and the others too. At least 3 girls should be on the field and I was one of them. I was steady and the referee had started the game. I was nervous and didn’t want to catch the ball out of embarrassment. When I was out of breath, I went to swap with someone else like reserves. I watched how proud I was of my team and realizing we won I cheered and screamed for them.

There was a bell. Our first game and we won. We went to check on the other team proudly representing our school. The other team ran and cheered that they had won. Everybody was filled with happiness and hugging each other. We headed back to our bags and relaxed waiting for our next game. We ate our morning tea to fill up our energy.

Mr Bell told us to not eat too much because we might have a stitch more quickly so I mostly drank water. I grabbed the rugby ball and asked a friend if they wanted to play with me. Slowly, more people joined with us and decided to play touch because there were enough players. We enjoyed our time and Mr Bell had told us we were going for our second game. We walked to the same field from our last game and saw the school we were going to compete with. They were as giant as the other people like last time.

Their school was called Glen Brae School and I realized I saw one of my good friends. I waved at her with joy and was happy to see her. I was one of the back up people waiting for someone to replace me. I screamed at my team trying to get them motivated. One of my Best Friends volunteered to replace it and I went out on the field ready to rip some tags. Towards the end, the bell rang and the referee announced that we had won.

I cheered and went towards the field our other team was competing. We went to them with happy faces and saw them with sad ones. They had said that they lost but we hugged them because we knew those people were too good. We were soon competing with Stone Fields shortly after. I was most nervous with this team because I’ve heard they were a very good team. Just when the game started, after a few minutes, they already had gotten a goal.

I had fear in me. I trusted and had faith in my team to win for us to get into the finals. We spread out in the field staying strong even though we were exhausted. The Stone Fields schools were all thin and tall but they were pretty good. The game had started. I was one of the people out onto the field.

I was excited and we started with the rugby ball first. One of the boys picked it up and tapped it. He ran to attempt a goal for us but his tag had been ripped. He passed a ball to another player and they ran straight for it and they got a goal. We jumped up and down out of happiness and this time the other school had to play. Soon after the bell rang to tell us it was half time.

Both of the teams came in the middle of the field which was what the referee had told us. When the bell rang again, the person who kept track of the points had announced we had won. We cheered and we were happy because everyone thought we were going to lose because of how good they were. Both teams went up on a line and slowly walked to high five the other team. We walked back to our bags exhausted.

My muscles were tired but I was happy that we went in the finals. I ate some food to get me up and going. I practiced with my classmates until our teacher said we had to go for the last game. Our whole team including the other team who had lost previously, came to watch our last game cheering for us.  It was the scariest team I’ve competed with. They looked as if they already finished college.

I was a backup person this time. I cheered for my team as loud as possible for them to get motivated by my words. I switched with someone who was tired and I ran up the field next to a person for support. So far the other team had lots of goals then compared to us. When the game ended, I went up to the person who kept track of the number of goals and asked her how many goals my team and the others had. She said that it was 9 to 3 which we had 3 goals.

My jaw dropped on how much they had compared to ours. I went and told the team and their jaws had dropped too. We lost but we were happy we were in the finals and celebrated with a hug. We high five the other school and I hugged one of my old friends there. We walked back to our bags and I went home with my mom. I was tired and happy we placed second and I would definitely do it again.